Birth & Midwifery in Peru
Resources for parents and practitioners
Connect with many more midwives and birth enthusiasts from around the world by joining IAM, the International Alliance of Midwives!
Some of the following sites may not be in English; an online translator may be useful.
Birth Situation Room Report
Midwifery Today Country Contact*
*To learn what a Country Contact is or to reach any Midwifery Today Country Contact, click here.
Cynthia Ingar is a Peruvian anthropologist (PhD), doula, women’s health educator, and mother of Maël. She is dedicated to the teaching and protection of ancestral Woman Medicine and traditions. She has applied her research work on reproductive health in different Andean contexts and in the city of Lima through her work in reproductive health programs. She is dedicated to Hampi Warmi, a Peruvian-based non-profit aimed to bring Woman Medicine back to women and girls worldwide throughout all the Cycles of Life. The main project, KillaWarmi Project, is a reproductive health intercultural project designed to empower Andean women and girls through woman-centered knowledge, the strengthening of Andean traditional midwifery and the Remembering of Andean feminine wisdom and spirituality. Cynthia provides menstrual health and sexual education to girls and menarque rites of passage ceremonies. She also teaches international women’s workshops and retreats in South and North America centered in the reconnection with Woman Medicine through our bodies and female cycles, and the re-connection with Pachamama. She collaborates with music and the Drum to deepen the ritual aspect of her work with women. She is committed to the Remembering of our Ancestors’ Wisdom and of the Rainbow Prophecy of Condor and Eagle coming together again.
She has written articles for Midwifery Today, including Midwifery and Women’s Health in Peru: Visions and Dreams from Midwifery Today, Issue 97.
- www.pakarii.com—Pakarii Casa de Nacimiento birth center in Lima; Doula workshops are also given by its School of Doulas
- www.matervida.com—Mater Vida birth center in Lima; School of Doulas
- www.ruruchay.com—Ruruchay Casa de Nacimiento birth center in Cusco
- KillaWarmi Project—www.killawarmiproject.blogspot.com—Hampi Warmi non-profit / KillaWarmi Project; Women’s intercultural reproductive health initiative
- www.llli.org/Peru.html—La Liga de la Leche Perú (La Leche League International, Peru), an organization that gives free information and support to mothers and pregant women on breastfeeding
- www.lactared.com.pe—Breastfeeding Professional Consulting and IBCLC Training Program: Red Peruana de Lactancia (Peruvian Network of Breastfeeding)